The pendant light is a centerpiece in interior design. Who doesn’t have a suspension at home? This light-part out very often occupies a central place in the atmosphere of a room and above all it conditions the general lighting and the positioning of the other luminaires. Designers love to play with the style, lines, materials, colors and volumes of this lamp that can find its place in all spaces of the house: entrance, kitchen, staircase, hallway, living room, dining room, bedroom , and sometimes even the bathroom, if it is spacious. The suspension can either provide general lighting (diffuse or indirect lighting), or concentrate the lighting on a particular area (direct or directional lighting). Available in all sizes and shapes, the pendant light can adapt to different volumes of rooms. However, for a harmonious decoration, it must respect the proportions of your surface. Too large, it will reduce the size of your room and bring too much light. Too small, it will not be highlighted and will give the impression of floating. It is still preferable for a pendant lamp to appear larger than too small because it is often the flagship light of a decor. For rooms without an electrical supply to the ceiling, there are suspension models that can be installed using a long modular cable system that can be directly connected to the floor, or that can be connected to a wall electrical outlet. At the heart of the trend, this easy-to-install lighting solution will bring a very designer look to your decor or a more “factory” touch depending on the model and style you choose. Once you have determined what function you want to give your pendant light, there remains a decisive question: at what ideal height to install it? Find all our advice by room and type of lighting to fix your pendant lamp at the right height.
1. AT WHAT HEIGHT SHOULD A PENDANT LIGHT BE INSTALLED IN THE LIVING ROOM?
In the living room, the suspension often aims to illuminate an armchair or a corner of the room. With this in mind, place it 30 or 40 centimeters above the object or area to be illuminated. If you decide to position it in the center of the room, the lowest part of the pendant light should be placed at a height of at least 1.80 meters – the rule of thumb is 2.15 meters. Unless it is fixed above a table, a pendant light requires a high ceiling height of at least 2.50 meters. A distance of 40 to 50 cm between the luminaire and the ceiling is necessary and the bottom of the suspension must reach between 1.90 meters and 2 meters from the ground so as not to obstruct circulation in the room. It is therefore ideal for illuminating a living room with high ceilings. In these large-volume rooms, the lighting that they are given is essential to create a beautiful warm atmosphere. Take care not to neglect it to avoid the impression of austerity that the “cathedral” look of the space could create.
WITH A HIGH CEILING IN THE LIVING ROOM, SEVERAL LIGHTING SOLUTIONS WITH A SUSPENSION ARE POSSIBLE:
- Break the height of a very high living room with a monumental decorative pendant light . The imposing size of an oversized lighting will energize the lost surface while giving an elegant and refined style to the living room.
- Dropping a suspension bar fromthe ceiling will allow you to stage the empty volume with the suspensions for a very airy decoration. You can play on different suspension heights wisely aligned floating 2.30 meters from the ground to create a feeling of proximity.
- Install suspensions of the same model but of various sizes by varying the heights between 1.90 meters and 2.30 meters.
- Dress the living room with an XXL pendant light while focusing on a cottony, fluid and transparent material.
- Bet on the sobriety of a soft and urban lighting at the same time to magnify the decoration of your living room. It’s up to you to play on the height so that each element of the living room is highlighted.
2. AT WHAT HEIGHT SHOULD A PENDANT LIGHT ABOVE THE DINING AREA ?
Installing a pendant lamp above the table is very designer, in addition to bringing a beautiful light on your plates! But be careful to place it correctly. Above the dining table, the lowest part of the pendant light should be placed at a height of 1.60 meters. Clearly visible, it is thus enhanced and perfectly illuminates the table. However, it should not dazzle or hinder movement. Ideally, the light diffused by the pendant light should illuminate a larger perimeter than the table and chairs while providing concentrated light. The ideal height actually depends on the lighting you want to diffuse but also on the type of suspension you have chosen: clear, airy and transparent, imposing, ultra design or more retro, metal or fabric… The purpose of a pendant lamp on a dining table is of course to provide lighting for the area immediately below with the idea of creating a comfortable and warm lighting for your family or friends who are gathered around the table. The right lighting should make your china, silverware, crystal, and flower arrangements “pop” when you have a festive meal and should also allow you to use the area for other activities like reading or playing.
SEVERAL RULES TO FOLLOW:
- Only illuminate the table for an intimate and warm effect. The pendant light sometimes has more functions than just lighting the table. It is therefore tempting to use the lighting provided for the dining table to illuminate the entire room. The problem is that this solution causes you to hang your light at too high a height and not achieve the intimate effect you want. To create a more intimate beam of light that illuminates the dining table at a focal point, your fixture should be hung approximately 75cm above the table to allow the light to focus on the targeted area. In rooms with very high ceiling heights and especially in open floor plans with lots of space around the table, you can add a few inches.
- Consider the space before installing the pendant. The distance between the dining table and the suspension is obviously the essential element of this installation, but it also takes into account the overall volume of your room. For a ceiling height of approximately 2.50 meters, a minimum of 80 cm between the surface of the table and the luminaire is preferred. It is above all a safety distance to avoid jostling the lamp every time you pass the dish or unfold your towel! But this minimum distance also offers significant comfort for the eyes because the light beam is placed high enough to illuminate without dazzling. You can choose to install your stack pendant light in the center of the table. But if asymmetry appeals to you,
- Take into account the furniture before installing the pendant light. The dimensions of the dining table also influence the position of the luminaire. Indeed, if your table is very large, the suspension must be installed at a greater height so that the light beam can encompass the entire surface of the table. Also, when you want to keep a “low” arrangement, it is preferable to multiply the light sources to better distribute the light over the entire surface by installing three suspensions instead of one, for example. In this case, the suspensions must not be more than ¾ of the width of the table. If your dining area is rounded, avoid straight suspensions. On the other hand, if your is square or rectangular, you can opt for a round or oval pendant light.
- Vary the pleasures with an adjustable suspension. The height of a suspension also makes it possible to modulate the atmosphere of a space quickly. Subdued light or crisp lighting? A detail to take into account when installing your lighting, in order to maintain effective brightness. To keep the possibility of juggling between different atmospheres, you can opt for suspensions with adjustable height, a clever choice which adapts to each activity in a few seconds.
TIP: If you have less than 2.30 to 2.40 meters in height under ceiling, it is advisable to consider a ceiling light, ideal for rooms a little “low head”.
If you do not have an electrical connection above your dining table, there are off-center pendant lights. Think about it!
3. HOW HIGH SHOULD YOU PUT YOUR PENDANT LIGHT IN THE KITCHEN ?
The installation of a pendant light in the kitchen is not done at random. Shape, material, number of light points and height: some important criteria determine the choice of the best location, to benefit from functional and aesthetic lighting.
THINK CAREFULLY ABOUT YOUR CHOICE OF PENDANT LIGHT IN THE KITCHEN
The pendant lamp is a great ally for providing good lighting in the kitchen. However, it must be chosen with care. The first question to ask is that of its location, which determines its size and the most suitable form. For example, if the suspension is intended to illuminate the table, it is preferable to choose a suitable shape, to ensure optimal kitchen lighting: round suspension for a round table, or square for a square table. On the other hand, if it is a question of lighting a central island, it is more judicious to bet on a pendant lamp of elongated shape, equipped with several light points. Finally, it is important to think practical. Indeed, the kitchen is a room exposed to projections, whether water or fat. Also, it is preferable to ban the fabric lampshade,
HOW MANY PENDANT LIGHTS IN THE KITCHEN?
To be functional, the suspension must adapt to its environment, and in particular to the space. In a kitchen benefiting from beautiful volumes, it is necessary to opt for a suspension of adequate dimensions. It is also possible to install several suspensions, which also offers an opportunity to refine the decoration of the room. The most common solution, however, remains the combination of suspension and additional lighting. The suspension then finds its place above a strategic area, such as the table or the worktop. Spotlights and wall lightsare then used to bring a touch of light in darker areas, while Led bars or neon lights illuminate work areas, such as the sink or the hob.
CALCULATE THE HEIGHT OF THE SUSPENSION
In order to produce kitchen lighting that is as precise as possible, which is great for cooking with peace of mind, the pendant lamp must be installed at a carefully calculated height. The lower the suspension, the more focused and precise the light beam will be. If the ceiling height is important, it is therefore imperative to choose a suspension offering a sufficient length of wire. In addition, the suspension must not in any way interfere with movement in the kitchen. It is therefore preferable to install it above the table or the worktop of the central island. The ideal height is then 1.60 meters.
THE PENDANT LIGHT IN THE KITCHEN: THE PARTICULAR CASE OF THE ISLAND
To be functional, the suspension must adapt to its environment, and in particular to the space. In a kitchen benefiting from beautiful volumes, it is necessary to opt for a suspension of adequate dimensions. It is also possible to install several suspensions, which also offers an opportunity to refine the decoration of the room. The most common solution, however, remains the combination of suspension and additional lighting. The suspension then finds its place above a strategic area, such as the table or the worktop. Spotlights and wall lights are then used to bring a touch of light in darker areas, while Led bars or neon lights illuminate work areas, such as the sink or the hob.
A kitchen island makes it possible to combine the functions. The kitchen island is at the same time a centerpiece, functional and iconic. No other room in the house knows such frequentation and such variety of use. All the islands are directly involved in our activities of daily living: preparing food, having a drink, eating, consulting your tablet, working and playing. So you have to be sure that the lighting for everyday tasks meets all your needs.
If it is used both as a work surface and as a dining table, its lighting requires some thought. The suspension must indeed allow working in good conditions, without providing too aggressive lighting during meals. Several solutions are then possible, depending on the design of the room. Very aesthetic, some pavilions allow for example to compose a custom-made pendant light, equipped with several light points of variable height. The suspension fitted with a dimmer remains however the most practical alternative, since it allows to modify the light power according to the needs.
Due to the wide variety of use, the best kitchen island lighting will be versatile. Several factors determine the most efficient lighting solutions for the kitchen with a central island:
- The size of the kitchen island,
- The ceiling height,
- Use of the kitchen island.
The suspensions must be hung 30 cm below a ceiling 2.40 to 2.50 meters high.
The suspension height can also be measured from the surface below the light, favoring a distance of 75 to 90 cm above the table or counter. This is the most practical height, especially for pendant lights used for lighting kitchen preparation tasks.
Pendant lights should be held above work surfaces at a height that does not block the view of the kitchen.
Consider dimmers and light switches that provide possibilities to adjust the light level to suit the task or mood.
4. AT WHAT HEIGHT SHOULD A PENDANT LIGHT BE PLACED IN THE HALL?
Very popular in an entrance, the pendant lamp is easy to install there because in this passage room, its sole purpose is to generate general lighting. In the entrance, the suspension approaches the ceiling. It provides generous lighting and does not hinder movement. Large pendant lights are often oversized in relation to this space. We can choose it according to its interior decoration, in any case, you will fix it at a height of 2 meters above the ground. First, to be able to move easily underneath, then to obtain a sufficiently wide light beam which will illuminate the entire surface.
As the ambience of this reception area is cozy, be sure to avoid too powerful or dazzling lighting. Prefer suspensions with indirect or diffused lighting.
5. AT WHAT HEIGHT SHOULD A PENDANT LIGHT BE PLACED IN THE HALLWAY?
Having a long hallway is not an asset. Indeed, a long corridor is often devoid of decoration. It can sometimes seem dark, hence the importance of creating a bright and warm atmosphere to welcome your guests and move around comfortably. Thanks to the use of suitable lighting, you will be able to give this room like no other a crazy charm! If the ceiling height of your hallway is greater than 2.5 meters, you can opt for the suspension. So you will privilege the style and the decoration. You can choose between sobriety and eccentricity. You can choose more localized lighting that will highlight a particular space.
THIS OPTION IS IDEAL FOR NARROW, LONG HALLWAYS AND, IN GENERAL, THOSE WHERE NO ARRANGEMENTS CAN BE MADE. TWO OPTIONS:
- A series of suspensions of character. A popular solution for interior designers, hang them relatively low because they are intended to be the first decorative elements of the hallway, but without obstructing passage. Ideally, choose energy-efficient LED suspensions.
- One suspension . In the old, if you only have one electrical outlet as is usual, opt for a simple enough powerful suspension. You can hang it 1.90 meters from the ground and place it at the central point of your hallway.
6. HOW HIGH CAN A PENDANT LIGHT HANG IN THE BEDROOM ?
To make the bedroom a space conducive to rest and relaxation, the light must be soft and soothing. A suspension can provide the general lighting of the room.
If you decide to place your pendant light in the center of the room, place it at a height of between 1.90 meters and 2 meters from the ground to diffuse a sufficiently illuminating light without being dazzling. You can also play on a more decorative effect, with simple pendant lights with exposed bulbs and position them on each side of your bed, like a set of wall lights. At this point, they should be low, at the level of the headboard, about four feet from the floor. Very trendy, if you have a cozy relaxation corner with an armchair or a chaise longue, you can also use your pendant light to precisely illuminate this space. Here, you can fix your luminaire 1.60 meters from the ground, on the wall side so as not to obstruct traffic, just above the area to be lit.
To produce a subdued atmosphere, opt for opaque materials such as fabric, wood, silicone, frosted glass or rice paper.
If you do not have occasional lighting (for bedside tables and cupboards) in addition to your general lighting, it must be relatively important. In this case, do not hesitate to use a dimmer, which will vary the intensity of the light, according to your needs.
7. AT WHAT HEIGHT SHOULD A PENDANT LIGHT BE POSITIONED ON THE STAIRS?
Like wall lights, highly rated for lighting a staircase, you can choose a pendant light, ideal for dressing the height of a staircase. Choose a suspension that will provide diffused or indirect lighting. If you have a large volume, do not hesitate to fill it with a series of suspensions, as in a long corridor, by varying the heights. As the stairs are a circulation space, place your suspension at least 1.90 meters from the stair step above which it will be fixed.